Tuesday, March 1, 2011

...with liberty and justice for ALL

Today's post has a bit of a political view. I'm using my soapbox to talk about a cause that is close to my heart marriage equality.

You all know that I'm not a particularly religious person. The institute of marriage is not only a religious ritual but one that is recognized by the law as a union worthy of 1,324 protections and rights that are not extended to gays and lesbian citizens. (What happened to a separation of church and state?) 

As a gay man in America, I obey laws and I pay taxes. I try to give to charities and volunteer as much as possible. And I try to be an example to others on how to be kind and treat others well ( except when I'm bad-mouthing them on my blog  lol.) All those things are examples of being a model citizen. I don't think its fair that I am treated like a second-class citizen. Women still fight for equal pay and brown people will always struggle with racial bias as long as people can see color. but both are protected under the law. Being gay is the last civil rights movement of our time. Gay people are bullied a discriminated against everyday all over America and our government allows it. Last week, President Obama declared the Defense Of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional. Finally as far as the federal government is concerned they consider marriage and its many privileges to be just for a man and a woman is unjust. So its not equal protection under the law.. but its a step in the right direction.

My friend James asked me the other day if I would marry him.. and I said no..  Why you might ask? But I'm not sure I actually believe in marriage. I'm all for commitment. I am single and would love to have a partner to come home to. Someone who loves me unconditionally that I could curl up to every night. Someone who I would be proud to show off to the world as mine. . I want my partner to be there because he wants to be not because he is legally obligated to be. Almost like we should have to renew your marriage licence every 3 years. Because the whole til death do us part thing is clearly not working for the majority of the world with a divorce rate at an all time high.... Actually if marriage is such a sacred institution, why don't we outlaw divorce and see how important or sacred it would be..  Would anyone get married if they knew that divorce wasn't an option? Post your thoughts below. let me know what you think.

Today I am very proud of my friend Eugene (center)and the members of Queer Rising for standing up for their rights and the rights of all gay Americans by participating in a display of civil disobedience. In the intersection of 6th avenue and 42nd street they unfurled a 75 foot banner that read "NY DEMANDS MARRIAGE EQUALITY NOW!!" blocking traffic during rush hour this morning. Thank you for making a statement peacefully in the name of liberty, justice and equality for all!

2 comments:

  1. I so much agree with you Lamont... I've been married myself for over 33 years now however... I will tell you that the piece of paper is not what is it all about. Loving someone and being there for them through everything and sharing life with them is what is all about... not a legal obligation or even for tax breaks and benefits.

    I am however totally for marriage equality for anyone that chooses to be married.... and it should be for all.. without exception.. and we shouldn't be having to have any debate or delays in this being corrected in our nation.

    So thanks for sharing your views... and hold out for love... companionship... and someone that will share life with you for who you are.... you're a sweetheart!

    Denise ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in marriage equality if marriage is what you want. Marriage is nothing more than a piece of paper now a days. I agree with you, if divorce was outlawed there would be far more single people. I have been married for 15 years, and it is not something I entered into lightly. When I chose marriage in my mind divorce was not an option. I am not going to say I am happy in my marriage right now, but divorce is still not an option. I made a commitment for better or worse, it may be at its worse right now but so many people give up at the earliest signs of trouble.
    I hope you find the love of your life and all the happiness in he world.

    ReplyDelete